Get off the beaten path with us as we explore parts of the East Village, the Bowery, Little Italy, and SoHo on this fun 3.5hr walking tour. We should really call it a “multisensory” tour, as you will see, hear, and taste your way through these interesting and history-rich neighborhoods.
• Join a fun and informative tour of the East Village, Little Italy, and SoHo, with historical anecdotes ranging from Peter Stuyvesant to Joey Ramone
• Enjoy authentic snacks & refreshments from iconic and family-run NY establishments, including a visit to the oldest bar in New York City
• Learn about the immigrant waves that shaped NY, from Kleindeutschland and Little Italy to the Jewish Realto and Little Ukraine
• Discover SoHo, the historic Cast-Iron district, with its industrial and artistic pasts, unique architecture, trendy boutiques, and fashionable denizens
Basic Tour Info:
• Length and Distance: About 3.5 hours and we cover about 3 miles on foot (5 kilometers)
• Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 10am
• Cost: $45 for adults, $25 for kids 12 and under
• Size: Maximum group size is 12 adults
• Language: Our tours are currently offered only in English
• Break: There will be 1 bathroom break
• Private Option: This tour is also offered privately
• Location: Starts near Astor Place in Lower Manhattan (you will receive detailed info after booking), ends in SoHo near Broadway (you will be given directions) and near great places for lunch or a drink
The CityRover Promise:
• An interactive, informative, and fun tour, with memorable stories and great photo opportunities
• No more than 12 adults, no flags, no microphones, no memorized scripts, no canned jokes, no notes
• An engaging, knowledgeable and licensed CityRover guide
More about this tour:
New York City is a city of change. This goes a long way in explaining the multiple layers of history we can uncover in any given square mile of land, especially in Lower Manhattan – a portion of the city which has arguably changed most dramatically and frequently. And that is exactly why we have designed this tour. We will peel back those layers, revealing a kaleidoscope of interesting characters, authentic ethnic eats, historic (and sometimes tragic) turning points, an incredible array of architecture spanning several centuries, and the cultural and immigrant history behind it all.
And, as on every CityRover walking tour, we will explore the nooks and crannies, share stories you won’t find in a guide book, keep things fun and intimate, and leave you with the knowledge and confidence for further self-exploration.
“Another excellent walk with CityRover” Reviewed June 1, 2014 on TripAdvisor
“Having started our NY visit with a CityRover tour last year, we did the same this year and went on the City of Dreams walk with Danielle. Another excellent walk – really informative about the different areas and how they evolved over time, lots of great facts that you don’t get in the guidebooks, a food stop, and a drink stop! Seeing the various areas of the East Village and hearing about the lives of the immigrants also really enhanced our visit to Ellis Island later in the week.“
“CityRover will see me again” Reviewed May 26, 2014 on TripAdvisor
“I have travelled to NYC many times, had done all the tourist points of interest, but now wanted to dig a little deeper. Was not disappointed with my choice of taking the City of Dreams tour. Danielle fed us great interesting stories and pointed out details throughout our walk. Covered distance but was fairly easy to walk. Danielle was very energetic and friendly. Well spoken English thus easy to understand and groups are small so it was easy to hear her in such a noisy city. Seriously, I could have gone on all day touring and absorbing such interesting info on New York. The tour started at 10:00 and finished approx around 13:15. It ended near little Italy/Chinatown which was perfect because from there on there is so much more to visit. Will definitely doing another tour with CityRover Tours my next time back.”
“CityRover Walks” Reviewed May 16, 2014 on TripAdvisor
“My friend and I went on the City of Dreams tour with Max on May 14th. The tour was interesting, informative, and most of all FUN. The snack breaks along the tour were an extra bonus. It didn’t seem like we walked 3 miles. We went home the next day. If we would have been in NYC longer we would have booked another tour with City Rover Walks.”
Parts of the following areas will be explored:
- East Village
- The Bowery
- Little Italy/NoLiTa
Additional Tour Info:
What About Kids? Our public tours may not be appropriate for young children, as they involve a lot of walking and cover topics geared to adults. Further, some of our tours reference adult content some parents may deem inappropriate for children. That said, there are 2 “child” tickets available for each public tour for children aged 12 and under.
Meeting Point: Detailed meeting point instructions will be emailed to you once your reservation has been processed. Please note that the tour starts near Astor Place in the East Village and ends in SoHo (not at the start point).
Are gratuities included? Guide gratuities are not included in the tour price, so if you enjoy your tour, tips are very much appreciated.
Stops: We normally make 2 or 3 pit stops on this walk for snacks and/or refreshments (including 1 bathroom break), which may include the following great local establishments, but may be substituted for other local gems at CityRover’s discretion:
- Moishe’s – A Kosher bakery serving traditional Jewish baked goods and pastries since 1972
- Caffe Roma – Serving Italian pastries and espresso since 1891
- McSorley’s Old Ale House – Visit this one-of-a-kind 160-yr-old Irish pub
Are snacks/refreshments included in tour price? Although this is not a food tour, the cost of the snack/refreshment stops we make is included in our tour price, unless otherwise specified by your guide during the tour. In addition, each participant will be offered a complimentary bottle of water during the walk if it’s warm. If you have any dietary restrictions or specific food allergies, please contact us prior to booking.